Friday, June 01, 2007

Thundering Hooves

The house where we're spending the summer is surrounded on two sides by horse corrals and pastures. Tonight I was quietly reading and I heard what sounded like distant thunder. Then I realized that the floor was shaking beneath me. I stepped to the back door and was treated to the sight of four beautiful horses running full-out in big loops around the corral immediately over the back fence. I grabbed the camera and tried to capture the beauty and exhiliration of the moment. Apparently those four have just returned to the ranch here after being away for 8-9 months, so they were ecstatic to be "home". They continued to race and kick up their heels and roll in the dirt for about 1/2 hour before they finally settled down. All these photos were taken while I was standing on the threshold of our back door here. These horses are ridden constantly, and used as "polo ponies" in polo matches around the Northwest.

3 comments:

Daniella Woolf said...

Totally Fabulous. I had some thunder myself tonite, only it was from the sky!

robin andrea said...

I love that first pic so much. It really captures the exuberance. Beautiful horses.

Lulu Maude said...

What a wonderful world you live in. It's no accident.