Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Books? No Thanks....

I saw this today in a couple of other blogs: Pharyngula and I Cite. It is quite depressing, and also helps to explain why our country is in such a big mess. I don't imagine that the statistics for reading a newspaper or magazine are much better.....

58% of the US adult population never reads another book after high school.

42% of college graduates never read another book.

80% of US families did not buy or read a book last year.

70% of US adults have not been in a bookstore in the last five years.


Here's where I'm so happy to be a rip-roaring member of the minority. Right now I'm enjoying Terry Gross' wonderful book of interviews from her NPR radio show, Fresh Air. The book is All I Did Was Ask. It is fabulous! Life without books, for me, would be absolute torture. Time to go read now.......

2 comments:

Adagio said...

Those are scary statistics. Wonder how NZers would compare. Somewhat better I would hope. I am so used to being a reader and being around readers, it is all too easy to imagine that I/we are representative of the entire population. Books are expensive, I admit, but heavens above, there are libraries. And they are totally free to use here in our corner of the world.

Hey, you removed your previous post! The dog and sleeper.

Thanks for your email Sigrid.

Adagio

Daniella Woolf said...

Really depressing stats, there Sigrid. I'm so glad you are in the minority! Thanks for bringing that to our attention.