Friday, November 17, 2006

Lifting the Blues, Back in the Pink

I wrote that I have been feeling blue lately. Part of it is the (delayed) transition from working full time to being a retired person. I find myself wondering how I can be valuable if I'm not working, not taking care of anybody (like my now grown-up kids), not "needed" anywhere in particular. This feeling comes and goes, and when it's around it pulls me down, even though I know in reality that my life is just fine. I have everything I need, good health, love, a comfortable home, friends and family, and the freedom to enjoy each day as I choose. I've had great joy in the results of the recent election, and watching Crummy Rummy hit the dustry trail towards an ignominious finale. It's hard for me to grasp how I could feel sad.

I've discovered some things that have absolutely helped me to lift out of it, and today I'm definitely feeling better. Taking long walks with Zuma around the beautiful neighborhoods of Santa Cruz is a great tonic. In the last couple of weeks I've exchanged long emails with my brother, Tom, in Georgia, whom I miss very much. I had long telephone conversations with my friends Missy in Colorado, Mary in North Dakota, Rosemary (currently in Virginia), Robin in Washington, Johna, Amber, and Mecca here at home, Christopher in LA, brother Dick in Florida, Annarae, Amy, and Margaret, all in Massachusetts, and Michelle in Capitola. I had a wonderful conversation with my daughter Annie last week. Each of these conversations has been helpful and has reflected back to me how loved I am. Sometimes it is hard to remember to reach out for help and reassurance, but I'm so glad I did and so grateful to all the people who are there for me. So today I'm coming back into the pink again. Yahoo!! Thank you dear friends.

11 comments:

robin andrea said...

I'm so glad that you are in the pink again. It's amazing how much better we can feel after a good, long walk.

Lulu Maude said...

Great to visit your blog. It's funny how much we define ourselves by what we do, rather than by what we are. It's so easy to confuse the two, but I suspect that that is what retirement is for.

As a retired teacher, I'm looking forward to the day when school settings are no longer part of my dreams!

Linstilllife said...

I hope you continue to feel more pink than blue, fabulous Sigrid

silverlight said...

There isn'r any other color.
Yes, there is someone who needs you. 'You'
Be your own best friend. Do all the things you wanted to do. Because it's your turn.
Indulge.
Happy Retirement.

silverlight said...

I forgot to indicate 'pink'. is the only color.

Cyndy Goldman said...

l love your writings and am always inspired by the way you embrace your life whether in the pink or blue! i've noticed that i go thru the blue period every winter when my life begins that transition back inwards after all the hustle and bustle of doing. suddenly, an isolation sinks in and i question my identity! reaching out and connecting with special friends and family that think you're the "SUN" is a magic cure! i'm so happy you're blogging regularly again! whether pink or blue, you always help me think about things more deeply! thanks S!

Anonymous said...

So glad you're feeling better, amiga! Thanks for letting all the colors shine through--so much more interesting that way.

DivaJood said...

Hey, SJ. Glad you are feeling better. While I was traveling I met this wonderful couple, both retired. They have gotten quite involved with Hospice care and other volunteer work, and travel quite a bit. They've found so much fulfilment in retirement. Both gentlemen said they found themselves after stopping work - that work defined them rather than letting themselves define their work.

You define yourself.

Taradharma said...

A good long walk, AND a good long talk...that's one of the things I can do to put myself right again. But big change leaves one feeling so...untethered. Wish it didn't but gosh it does!

K Allrich said...

It's the toughest transition, I agree - this time of not-being-needed.

I've come to realise, in my own life, that my sons still need me, but in a very different way. They need me to grow, to explore, to live my own life in pursuit of my dreams. This frees them to do the same.

hugs, Karina

TFLS said...

I understand how walking (especially around Santa Cruz) is a tonic for the blues. Before my hitch in my get-a-long I used to walk everywhere - especially around Santa Cruz, Capitola and Monterey. That - and there are some places up on Hwy. 9 that make you feel like you are standing in Lothlorien. Great for introspection; perfect for long, involved conversations with your soul.

Look to the light, my dear! You are so much more than what you did. I understand how change can leave you feeling a bit lost - but there is still so much that needs to be done. Remember what Graham Nash said: We can change the world - Re-arrange the world. No one else can take your place.