Monday, March 19, 2012

Week Three of Eating Well



I'm calling it Eating Well, because along with everything else I'm reprogramming the way I normally think about food.  I'm into the third week of this, and feeling terrific.  My intention is to continue this particular "cleanse" for six weeks, then gradually start adding back in some foods, one at a time.

Here are some of the details.

What I Eat:  Fruit, vegetables, quinoa, brown rice, fish, lean chicken, beans (such as kidney beans, garbanzos, lentils, etc.), some nuts, seeds, avocado.

What I Don't Eat:  Refined sugar or flour, glutens, white rice, pasta, potatoes, dairy, eggs, citrus (except for lemons), oils (except for olive oil), nightshades (tomatoes, eggplant, peppers), peanuts, red meat, caffeine, alcohol, and anything containing more than 5 ingredients (processed foods), preservatives, additives, coloring, artificial sweeteners.

It sounds brutal, and it did to me at first too, but really there is more than enough to eat and I don't feel hungry.  I think it is because my blood sugar is under control for a change!  All the "don't eat" things are known allergens that cause inflammation in some people, so the idea is to remove all of them for a period of time and then reintroduce them gradually.  This gives the body a chance to heal any inflammation or illness, and then to find out if any particular food is problematic.

I make a big broth twice a week, using about 20 vegetables: a variety of root veggies, green leafy veggies, carrots, celery, onion, cabbage, seaweed, shitake mushrooms, ginger, garlic, and seasonings.  I can drink this broth any time, day or night, and it is full of minerals and vitamins.

For breakfast I have lemon juice in hot water, followed by green tea and then a big smoothie made with frozen berries, 1/2 banana, rice protein powder, ground flax powder, almond butter, and  water.  It is yummy, nutritious, and filling.

The rest of the day I just eat various combinations of vegetables, brown rice (1/2 cup) and the other things available.  It is easy.

This program recommends evening baths with epsom salts, and baking soda in the water (1 cup of each).  This helps to detox through the skin, and it is very relaxing and warming before going to bed.

I'm taking a few supplements:  fish oil (or some Omega 3), a multi-vitamin, magnesium, and a liver cleansing herbal combination.

And I'm feeling pretty terrific.  No aches or pains, no tiredness, no bloating, lots of energy.  I'm trying to read a lot about nutrition as well.  Have been studying a book called Living Beyond Organic and it is very eye-opening, lots of information about enzymes and how the digestive system works.

So that's my story, and for now everything is going well.  It is the first time I can remember eating differently with a focus on my health instead of on losing a few pounds.  It is completely different!

2 comments:

ina said...

sounds really great. I just finished my fruity breakfast, a bit as you discribe. Hope you will feel great during and after this "new way of eating"

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great cleansing diet. I can't wait to see how you feel in a few weeks. Sending good wishes to you.