Saturday, June 02, 2012

Keeping On Keeping On



This week marks 3 full months of following the "Ultra Simple Diet" guidelines for food.  Just as a check-in, I am now 20 pounds lighter, have stabilized my blood pressure, and been able to get off of my blood pressure medication completely! I'm so pleased to be able to tick that goal off my list.

I'm feeling terrific.  My clothes are falling off (some of them).  It's not difficult sticking with this food plan.  Even when going out to restaurants to eat, I do a little research ahead of time on what is available to be sure I have good choices.

Several people recently suggested a good film:  Forks Over Knives.  It's about how to prevent and reverse disease with a whole-food, plant-based diet.  While my current diet is not strictly plant-based (I do eat fish, chicken, and eggs now), the notion of using whole foods to get healthier is what it is all about for me, and it is working well.  Daniella has also seen a 110 point drop in her cholesterol since we started eating this way (and she has some new supplements - no statins!).

Here are some future goals.  I plan to lose another 20 pounds.  I'm strengthening my body, especially my core muscles for balance and stability.  I intend to help out my aging kidneys to whatever extent is possible.  And with the food plan, I will just keep on keeping on.  There will be no "return to normal when this is done."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like your plan. This new normal sounds perfect. Amazing how bad the standard food choices are in the American diet.