Sunday, December 11, 2005

Resurfacing

Lest you think I have disappeared into a black hole - O- or become an unrepentant couch potato, I am happy to report in to the contrary. Being retired is just about the best fun I’ve ever had, long term. How did I get so lucky, and why is everyone around me just a little green (with envy), hmmmm??

I’ve been taking art classes at Cabrillo College since January, and that opened up a whole new world of possibility. They have an excellent art department, and first-rate instructors. My first classes last spring were a beginning Color & Design class, as well as a Book Arts class. We learned to make and bind a variety of books, make decorative papers, and come up with artistic content to put into our books. Here are some little books I made, covered with paper I painted.
Making books is a great place to start as an artist, because you can use them for drawings, paintings, poetry, photographs, collage, journaling, or just about any other art form you make subsequently.

Also, in the early part of 2005, I got into an Improv class that combined writing with acting, and I actually performed two 10-15 minute solo pieces on stage. It was scary and exhilarating all at once – better than therapy, that's for sure. Where else can you get to perform the roles of yourself, your mother, your father, and Elvis - all in one action packed show??!!??

No comments: