Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Deep Diving

I've spent the better part of the last 10 days working on a painting for my class. The assignment was that we were to make an abstract painting, a "re-imagined master painting", inspired by artist Jay DeFeo's painting, "The Rose", completed in 1965 after 8 years of work (reproduction at the left of this post). This massive, 8' x 10' painting, had a sculpted surface. When completed, it weighed in at 2,000 pounds, and required dismantling the San Francisco apartment in which DeFeo lived so it could be moved and shown. It has been described as "heroic, epic, legendary, tragic, Promethean even". It resides permanently in the Whitney Museum in New York, but it is rarely shown due to the difficulty of keeping it in good condition.

It has been fascinating to watch my classmates grapple with trying to paint something that works for this assignment. It has been a huge process of trial and error and trial and more error watching myself grapple with it! I originally thought I would do a close-up of a cactus plant, and started out painting in greens and blue/greens. A bit of purple began drifting in, and several rows of wire bristles were placed down the spines. More layers, more hours of work. After awhile, everything looked flat and colorless and dark, and dull. I had gone way too far. I began to place a few dots of lighter color on the surface, and next thing I knew the painting took on a life of its own. It now is a predominant blue/violet, with tiny bits of magenta and golden yellow. Most people who see it think it looks like some under-sea creature, or a starfish, or an imitation of an aboriginal work. It's not what I had in mind, but I sure learned a lot in the process - I guess that's what it is all about. Oh, and mine is 30" x 48" and weighs almost nothing!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this painting. The starfish shape, the blue - its really striking.

rashmi
www.rashmisinha.com

Kim Tyler said...

Hi Rashmi, and thanks for the kind words. I am sure having fun these days! Hope we see you before too many more moons go by!

Anonymous said...

I feel like I've entered some star universe...I can feel the movement. It's really lovely and so interesting to hear how it evolved. Love it! Barb Cabot

robin andrea said...

Sigrid-- This is beautiful. I see so many things here. Sea star. Microscopic view of life in a cell. Star burst. Life. It's really fantastic.

Kim Tyler said...

Barb, coming from you that is a huge compliment. Thanks for checking in on me.

RD, glad you like it too. It does have a lot of possible references - most of all it does seem alive in some way, and it has movement happening. It sure was a struggle to get to it! And I didn't even like the DeFeo painting, so I was not thrilled to have to jump from it!

Adagio said...

hallo again sigrid: like the others, i think this is great. looks somewhat mosaic-like from this *distance*. but also with strongly starfish qualities, as mentioned already. well done. where do you intend hanging it?