Thursday, June 22, 2006

Home Sweet Home


Why is it that just when it is time to go away, home seems sweeter than ever? I've spent days working on the yard, the house, watering and fertilizing all the plants, setting up sprinkler systems, cleaning out cupboards, fixing little things that need fixing. Our little nest is looking pretty great, and it is tempting to just sit under that back yard umbrella, with a cool drink and a good book, and relax deeply. Instead we are preparing to drive to Denver for Daniella's next art show, followed by the rest of the summer spent in Washington State, on Whidbey Island. I love going up there, and will love every minute of the time spent there. But just for today, I'm sure loving my Santa Cruz home, my dazzling nasturtiums and poppies, my bubbling red fountain, the sunny cool days when the coastal fog just hangs out in the bay and keeps the air fresh.

5 comments:

DivaJood said...

Love the big red fountain - that is so, well, delightful!

robin andrea said...

I always find it hard to leave home. I love the familiarity and the comforts. A few days on Whidbey, and it'll be all comfy and homey there too. And, you'll see eagles.

Your yard is so beautiful.

Taradharma said...

lovely photos of your wonderful garden -- I know what you mean, especially when you have a long road trip ahead, the luxury of relaxing in the well-tended backyard is alluring to the max! Happy trails -- maybe I'll see you on Whidbey - who knows?

TFLS said...

*sigh* Perfection. Especially that fountain - it anchors the yard. I would love to be sharing that drink with you, my dear. Have a safe and happy trip!

Adagio said...

isn't it such an irony. working hard in order to go away on holiday. your garden certainly looks as neat as a new pin sigrid. enjoy your sojourn away. the lawns will be waiting for you when you get home!