I was tagged, by Tara Dharma, to create a bizarre list of five weird things about myself. At first I thought “No Way!”. This is just too embarrassing, and too … well ….. weird. I just won’t respond. Then I thought "Only Five?? That's not too bad. "Now, I surrender and will make this list – but as I do so, I realize that I’m just not a very weird person, at least in my own eyes.
1. I obsessively play the piano with my fingers during most of my waking hours. I had piano lessons as a child, with a heavy emphasis on fingering, and I’m always working on that fingering, even though I haven’t actually played the piano for years
2. I seldom listen to music, even though I love it. It’s just that I love words even more. So I listen to NPR radio, read or write whenever possible, and when that is happening music is a big distraction!
3. I’m a really poor swimmer, and have never enjoyed being in the water much, but in the last couple of years I’ve developed a passion for water exercise and can’t get enough of it.
4. For my entire life, I’ve been a very early riser, as well as a light sleeper. I could probably count on both hands the times I’ve slept past 7 am in the last 20 years. I’d like to, but it just doesn’t happen. But early mornings are definitely my favorite time of day...
5. I don’t like the flavor, taste, smell of coffee and have never in my life been a coffee drinker – don’t even like coffee ice cream. And I'm an adult - weird!
Painting by Cynthia Tom